- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 cup(4 ounces) shredded smoked cheddar cheese (I would use smoked provolone or mozzarella)
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- 8 teaspoons stone-ground mustard
- 8 (2-ounce) whole wheat sandwich buns, toasted
- 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato
- 2 cups trimmed arugula
Place first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until tender; drain. Discard bay leaves. Place lentils in a large bowl; partially mash with a potato masher. Cool slightly.
Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrot; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly.
Add onion mixture, cheese, and next 8 ingredients (cheese through egg whites) to lentils; stir well to combine. Cover and chill 45 minutes. Divide mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
Heat a grill pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add half of patties, and cook 5 minutes on each side or until done. Repeat procedure with remaining patties. Spread 1 teaspoon mustard on top half of each bun. Place 1 patty on bottom half of each bun, and top each serving with 1 tomato slice, 1/4 cup arugula, and top half of bun.